The Management Consulting specialization of the Master’s Programme in Business Administration takes one year to complete. It is worth 60 credits and it is taught entirely in English. Besides focusing on your own individual studies and attending lectures, you will work in small groups based on activating learning methods, where you learn to write and present projects, study international real-life cases and conduct small-scale research. Each subject is assessed on the basis of individual interim examination scores and the result of an individual or group assignment. There are six courses that are specific to this specialization. You will take four of them from September until December and the other two courses in the winter and spring. There is also a required ethics course and a research seminar. During the final phase of the programme, you will organize and conduct an independent scientific research project which will serve as the basis for your Master’s thesis. You will enjoy the close supervision of our expert staff while you write your thesis.
The specialization in Management Consulting will prepare you for a job in consulting as:
- a junior consultant or research associate at a consulting company
- a junior policy adviser at a ministry or with local government
- an internal consultant working in business
- a general in-company management trainee
- an academic researcher in the field of consulting
- an independent consultant
To date, the majority of our graduates have started their careers with consulting companies. Some are currently involved in major projects, including the integration of ING and Postbank in the Netherlands. Others have taken up positions in consulting firms with a more specialized focus, such as strategy consulting, IT consulting, project management or marketing research. These career choices often depend on a graduate’s individual talents and interests, and their Bachelor’s specialization.
Management consulting is a broad profession and the range of services provided by consultants is spread across diverse areas of management. Examples include general and strategic management, human resource management, operations management, performance management, change management and organizational development.
Admission requirements Master's programme Business Administration
- Applicants who have gained a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Economics or Econometrics and Operations Research at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam are admitted automatically to the Master's programme
- Applicants with at least a Bachelor's degree from another accredited university are admissible if they have a specialization in Business Administration, witnessed by thorough knowledge of the standard literature described below (or its equivalent)
- Applicants with at least a VU Bachelor's degree in other specializations can be admitted to the master, but depending on their degree they will be required to take extra courses with a minimum of 30 credits. In that case, their programme will take at least a year and a half
- Standard literature: students are assumed to be thoroughly familiar with:
- Strategy and Environment
- Organization Design
- Research Methods
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 26, 2018