This program is taught in the UAE
The MBA Top-up is a fast track programme for those who already have a post graduate qualification in management. A key element of this programme is the MBA dissertation.
Applicants will study full-time over two trimesters, which is less than a full calendar year. They will need at least two years’ work experience and a level 7 qualification with at least 100 credits at HE7.
A variety of teaching and learning methods provide access to learning to meet a range of learner needs and are aimed at; widening participation amongst learners, avoiding exclusion and developing learner skills in both academic and workplace arenas. The methods employed include lectures; workshops; tutorials (group and individual) and guest speakers.
However individual tutors are free to introduce techniques that they view as especially suitable for aiding learning in their specialist area. The learning and teaching strategy for each individual module are detailed in the module guides that you will receive at the beginning of each semester.
About the course
The overall aim of the programme is to prepare students for a career at senior management level. Students will enhance knowledge and skills in strategic thinking appropriate for a global economy. Specifically, the programme seeks to develop and enhance:
- Critical knowledge of organisations, their management and the changing external contexts in which they operate.
- Knowledge/understanding of complex business issues, both systematically and creatively, to improve business and management practice.
- Intellectual capabilities of research, critique, synthesis and innovation, culminating in a masters’ level dissertation.
- Academic and professional skills to allow for opportunities for career development and further study.
- Lifelong learning skills and personal development so as to be able to work with self-direction and originality and to contribute to business and society at large.
The MBA is an internationally recognised management qualification sought by those who wish to either inject pace into their goals of career progression or those who wish to reinforce their position in the management chain.
- The MBA offers you the chance to join a well established postgraduate community engaged in preparing themselves for a career in executive management.
- In addition, teaching and supervision are offered by a well qualified and dedicated team of experienced staff drawn from business and academia.
- The university enjoys excellent libraries, 24/7 IT facilities, WiFi and learning areas.
What you will learn
Depending upon the syllabus of your previous programme of study, you will have the opportunity to study one of the taught modules outlined below in addition to the Research Methods and Academic Skills module and the Dissertation.
What you will study
Research Methods and Academic Skills
This module prepares you for the dissertation. It will enable you to make informed decisions about which research methods are appropriate under particular circumstances and specifically in relation to your own research. You will develop your knowledge of a range of research tools and analytical techniques. You will also receive guidance on the structuring of your dissertation. A component part of this module will be the development of your academic skills to further support your studies.
The dissertation provides you with the opportunity to undertake an extended and substantial piece of research. It allows students to synthesise their academic knowledge acquired from the taught modules and to produce an evaluative and critical discussion of a strategic issue relevant to your organisation, your recommendations following the research process and a proposed implementation plan.
One option module from:
- Leadership and Management
- Sales Management and Marketing
- Financial Management and Decision Making
- Human Resource Management
- Change Management
- Strategic Management
Applicants will have at least two years relevant work experience and an HE Level 7 qualification with at least 100 credits (minimum).
- Post-graduate Diploma
- Edexcel DMS
- ABE Level 7 Extended Diploma
If English is not your first language you will also normally need IELTS 6.5 (or equivalent). If you do not have the required English level, you can study English with us from IELTS 4.0 (or equivalent).
Applications must be accompanied by a reference from your current employer. The reference must be on official letter headed paper and should clearly state how long you have been employed by them and a breakdown of the content, roles and responsibilities of the job.
Program taught in: