MBA Overhauled—Focus On Strategic Sustainability
In studying leading businesses, MBA program offers cutting-edge education
The University’s completely revamped MBA program hinges on how top 21st century businesses are reshaping strategic sustainability and the new careers that will result.
Students in HSU’s revised MBA program will analyze the strategic sustainability issues of leading multinational companies, nonprofits and other organizations and how they are innovating and creating new markets.
They will also address financial, marketing, accounting and strategic management issues, taking into account the companies’ best practices.
HSU’s growing School of Business, buttressed by a $2.5 million investment by donors and the university, has overhauled the one-year MBA to close the gap between what traditional business schools teach and what companies are looking for in their future employees.
Entrepreneurship and creativity are at the heart of the redesigned program, which will carry a $1,000 to $3,000 scholarship. Every MBA candidate will also receive an internship/field experience valued at about $2,000.
Fully interdisciplinary, the restructured MBA meshes with an array of Humboldt State undergraduate programs, including the natural, environmental and social sciences. This integrated approach accentuates the degree’s versatility. Job applicants with undergraduate degrees in these disciplines will be able to expand their career prospects by adding the MBA’s functional business skills to their areas of expertise.
Integration, for example, of a natural sciences undergraduate degree with an MBA enables master’s candidates to build multiple skill sets that are difficult to outsource and of permanent career value.
The new MBA is designed with built-in flexibility. It can be completed in one year, courses will be offered in the evening, and no prior work experience will be required.
MBA internships and service learning will be geared to sustainability experiences, giving students practical skills that build on know-how gained in the classroom.
Students will develop their own electronic portfolios as they advance through their courses. All project papers will be included in the portfolios, leading to a capstone research project and the internship/field experience.
The redesigned degree builds on the scholarly reputation of HSU’s School of Business; its students average in the top 25 percent of those graduating from U.S. business schools that have participated in national assessment tests.
- Humboldt State University (HSU) is a recognized leader in sustainability and natural resource management. The Princeton Review named Humboldt State University a “Best of the West” and “Green” college.
- HSU ranks #46 in US News and World Report’s Best Colleges in Regional Universities. HSU is 8th out of all the California State Universities.
- The MBA program is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
- The MBA program is accredited by International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE).
Strategic Sustainability: Going Further than the Traditional MBA
- Sustainability has become a “buzz” word with governments, business and individuals focused on managing crucial human, fiscal and physical resources.
- The HSU MBA prepares graduates to tackle sustainability issues in their current and future employment.
- Students learn strategies of organizations committed to long-term economic, environmental, and social sustainability.
- Students learn how to be innovative and responsible business leaders in a world where the management and sustainability of all resources becoming crucial.
MBA Program Quick Facts: Students can complete the program in one year if they have their undergraduate degree in Business.
- If students have their undergraduate degree in something other than Business, they can complete all pre-requisites in one semester prior to the program starting.
The program starts every Fall semester (August) No prior work experience is required. Scholarship support for all admitted students ($1000 to $3000). Students complete a 10 week paid internship in the summer. Students complete an extensive project with the help of a faculty advisor. Students build an electronic portfolio of work to aid in a job search. We customize the program based on the amount of prior business education. Located in safe, friendly, Arcata, California.
The MBA program is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
Cost & Fees
These numbers are for one year, August through July.
- Tuition: $16,350.00
- Registration fees: $8,928.00
- Books and supplies: $2,316.00
- Room, Housing, and Transportation: $12,816.00
- Health insurance: $669.00
- Other expenses (laundry, clothing, etc): $3,354.00
- Total: $44,433.00
What does the pre-requisite courses/ESL cost?
• 12 weeks (May – August): $3,770.00
• 4 weeks (July – August): $1,450.00
• The one-semester preparation program for completion of pre-requisites costs $6,000.00.
- An undergraduate course in economics, statistics, finance, and accounting.
- 2.75 GPA
- 300 on the GRE exam or 500 in the GMAT
- TOEFL score of 550 PBT, 8 IBT OR IELTS OF 6.5
The one-semester preparation program begins in January
About the School
Humboldt State students enjoy an extraordinary college experience, taking small classes taught by professors who know them by name. They live and learn in one of the world's most beautiful places—near ... Read More